I support a delay of the vote on the turnaround strategies proposed by DPS as regards Lake Middle School. I feel there has not been sufficient due diligence performed to ensure that everyone’s rights have been protected, nor has any feasibility study or budget been offered. Basically, the current board is not allowing the incoming board to make the final determination on the situation they will have to oversee…as well as repair the relationship with the community that doesn’t want this change in the first place.
I received an email with this call to action, and I’m reposting here for you.
Call to action–PLEASE FORWARD to family, friends, neighbors, colleagues
Over the next few days, as you spend time with family and friends, you have an opportunity to make a difference for our northwest Denver schools. We have just learned that on Monday, November 30 at 4:30 pm, the current board of education will vote on the proposed turnaround strategies for Lake and other schools, and will vote to sign contracts before the new board members are seated later that evening.
Right now, the current board is expected to vote for co-location of one West Denver Prep at Lake Middle School, and another West Denver Prep at Emerson Street School, despite overwhelming community opposition.
By voting before the new board is seated, the old board is taking away the power of those who have just been elected to make decisions that they will have to live with for a long time.
The League of Women Voters, ALL OF OUR NORTHWEST DENVER ELECTED OFFICIALS and others have encouraged the old board to delay the vote, but they are not listening.
1. STARTING TODAY AND THROUGH THE WEEKEND, CALL THE PEOPLE LISTED BELOW. ASK FRIENDS & FAMILY WHO ARE WITH YOU TO MAKE CALLS AS WELL.
Current board members to call:
Theresa Pena 303-563-9889
Michelle Moss 303.763.7429
Kevin Patterson 720. 865.7104
Bruce Hoyt 303.339.9099
Jill Conrad 720.289.2886
Superintendent Tom Boasberg 720.423.3300
Call US Senator Michael Bennet 303-455-7600…and let him know that you would like him to weigh in and support delaying the vote.
If you have time, call Jeannie and Arturo and thank them for staying strong and supporting the community.
Jeannie Kaplan 720.560.8651
Arturo Jimenez 303.507.5942
LET ALL KNOW YOU WANT THE VOTE ON TURNAROUND FOR LAKE TO BE DELAYED UNTIL THE FOLLOWING OCCURS:
- The district creates plan for Lake 7th & 8th graders. While DPS is proposing to do “new starts” of the IB program for 6th grade, and also to collocate a West Denver Prep with only a 6th grade for next year, there is NO INFORMATION on how our 7th & 8th graders will be helped.
- The district creates a plan for Lake special education kids. More than 1 in 5 students at Lake are special education students, and special ed advocates have raised concerns about what will happen to these children, and how their programs will be sustained. Their parents should work with the district to develop a well thought out plan before a vote is taken.
- The district, with the assistance of the International Baccalaureate Organization, analyzes the impact of the proposed changes on having a fully-implemented IB program.
- The district reviews the impact on the court order for English Language Learners.
- The district conducts a cost-benefit analysis of locating West Denver Prep at Lake vs. locating it in Del Pueblo. Northwest Denver school board member Arturo Jimenez has endorsed Del Pueblo instead of Lake for West Denver Prep. Alterations on Lake could cost millions, which seems like a waste of money when DPS is in a budget crunch. Board members may tell you that there are not enough kids around Del Pueblo but that is not true. Del Pueblo is closer for many kids who live in the Lake boundary than Del Pueblo is.
Additionally, we want an overall analysis of northwest Denver needs and feeder patterns.
3. ASK CHILDREN AT YOUR HOLIDAY CELEBRATIONS TO MAKE SIGNS THAT SAY THINGS LIKE:
DELAY THE VOTE! Don’t Sign the Contracts! Let the new board vote
4. MOST IMPORTANTLY—COME TO 900 GRANT WITH YOUR SIGNS, FRIENDS AND FAMILY ON MONDAY, NOVEMBER 30 AT 4 PM. WE WILL BE DEMONSTRATING OUTSIDE AND INSIDE AND INVITING MEDIA TO GET THE MESSAGE ACROSS—WE ARE THE PUBLIC IN DENVER PUBLIC SCHOOLS AND WE EXPECT OUR ELECTED SCHOOL BOARD MEMBERS TO LISTEN!
Thank you—let’s show that we are the PUBLIC in Denver Public Schools!
For more information on the situation, contact either Arturo Jimenez (contact info above) or Janine Vanderburg, firstname.lastname@example.org.